1.1 INDUSTRY OVERVIEW
The travel and tourism industry are one of the world’s largest industries with a global economic contribution (direct, indirect and induced) of over 7.6 trillion U.S. dollars in 2016. The direct economic impact of the industry, including accommodation, transportation, entertainment and attractions, was approximately 2.3 trillion U.S. dollars that year. A number of countries, such as France and the United States, are consistently popular tourism destinations, but other, less well-known countries are quickly emerging in order to reap the economic benefits of the industry.
Worldwide, the tourism industry has experienced steady growth almost every year. International tourist arrivals increased from 528 million in 2005 to 1.19 billion in 2015. Figures were forecasted to exceed 1.8 billion by 2030. Each year, Europe receives the most international tourist arrivals. It also produces the most travellers:withapproximately 607 million outbound tourists in 2015, the region had more than double that of the second largest touristorigin, the Asia Pacific region.In 2015, global international tourism revenue reached approximately 1.26 trillion U.S. dollars, having almost doubled since 2005. That year, China had the largest international tourism expenditure, followed by the United States and Germany. The leading city in international visitor spending was Dubai, where tourists spent more than 31.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2016.
1.2 TRAVEL ; TOURISM’S CONTRIBUTION TO GDP
The direct contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP in 2017 was USD2,570.1bn (3.2% of GDP). This is forecast to rise by 4.0% to USD2,674.2bn in 2018. This primarily reflects the economic activity generated by industries such as hotels, travel agents, airlines and other passenger transportation services (excluding commuter services). But it also includes, for example, the activities of the restaurant and leisure industries directly supported by tourists.
The direct contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP is expected to grow by 3.8% pa to USD3,890.0bn (3.6% of GDP) by 2028.
DIRECT CONTRIBUTION OF TRAVEL & TOURISM TO GDP
The total contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP (including wider effects from investment, the supply chain and induced income impacts, see page 2) was USD8,272.3bn in 2017 (10.4% of GDP) and is expected to grow by 4.0% to USD8,604.5bn (10.5% of GDP) IN 2018.
It is forecast to rise by 3.8% pa to USD12,450.1bn by 2028 (11.7% of GDP).
1.3 TRAVEL & TOURISM’S CONTRIBUTION TO EMPLOYMENT
Travel ; Tourism generated 118,454,000 jobs directly in 2017 (3.8% of total employment) and this is forecast to grow by 2.4% in 2018 to 121,356,000 (3.8% of total employment). This includes employment by hotels, travel agents, airlines and other passenger transportation services (excluding commuter services). It also includes, for example, the activities of the restaurant and leisure industries directly supported by tourists.
By 2028, Travel ; Tourism will account for 150,139,000 jobs directly, an increase of 2.2% pa over the next ten years.
DIRECT CONTRIBUTION OF TRAVEL ; TOURISM TO EMPLOYMENT
The total contribution of Travel ; Tourism to employment (including wider effects from investment, the supply chain and induced income see page 2) was 313,221,000 jobs in 2017 (9.9% of total employment). This is forecast to rise by 3.0% in 2018 to 322,666,000 jobs (10.1% of total employment).
By 2028, Travel ; Tourism is forecast to support 413,556,000 jobs (11.6% of total employment), an increase of 2.5% pa over the period.
1.4 INDIAN TRAVEL INDUSTRY
The Indian tourism and hospitality industry has emerged as one of the key drivers of growth among the services sector in India. Tourism in India has significant potential considering the rich cultural and historical heritage, variety in ecology, terrains and places of natural beauty spread across the country. Tourism is also a potentially large employment generator besides being a significant source of foreign exchange for the country. During January-April 2018 FEEs from tourism increased 17.4 per cent year-on-year to US$ 10.62 billion.
Tourism industry in India is on a great boom at the moment. India has tremendous potential to become a major global tourist destination and Indian tourism industry is exploiting this potential to the hilt. Travel and tourism industry is the second highest foreign exchange earner for India, and the government has given travel ; tourism organizations export house status.
The buoyancy in the Indian tourism industry can be attributed to several factors. Firstly, the tremendous growth of Indian economy has resulted in more disposable income in the hands of middle class, thereby prompting increasingly large number of people to spend money on vacations abroad or at home. Secondly, India is a booming IT hub and more and more people are coming to India on business trips. Thirdly, aggressive advertising campaign “Incredible India” by Tourism Ministry has played a major role in changing the image of India from that of the land of snake charmers to a hot and happening place and has sparked renewed interest among foreign travellers.
Travel ; tourism industry’s contribution to Indian industry is immense. Tourism is one of the main foreign exchange earners and contributes to the economy indirectly through its linkages with other sectors like horticulture, agriculture, poultry, handicrafts and construction. Tourism industry also provides employment to millions of people in India both directly and indirectly through its linkage with other sectors of the economy. According to an estimate total direct employment in the tourism sector is around 20 million.
Travel & tourism industry in India is marked by considerable government presence. Each state has a tourism corporation, which runs a chain of hotels/ rest houses and operates package tours, while the central government runs the India Tourism Development Corporation.
• It is the largest service sector in India.
• Contribution of 6.23% to the national GDP & 8.78% of the total employment in India.
• Revenue generated from tourism was about US $100 billion in 2008which is expected to increase to
• US $275.5 billion by 2018 at a 9.4% annual growth.
1.5 MARKET SIZE
India is the most digitally-advanced traveller nation in terms of digital tools being used for planning, booking and experiencing a journey, India’s rising middle class and increasing disposable incomes has continued to support the growth of domestic and outbound tourism.
Domestic Tourist Visits (DTVs) to the States/Union Territories (UTs) grew by 15.5 per cent y-o-y to 1.65 billion (provisional) during 2016 with the top 10 States/UTs contributing about 84.2 per cent to the total number of DTVs, as per Ministry of Tourism.
The number of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) increased 10.8 per cent year-on-year to 3.88 million. The travel ; tourism sector in India accounted for 8 per cent of the total employment opportunities generated in the country in 2017, providing employment to around 41.6 million people during the same year. The number is expected to rise by 2 per cent annum to 52.3 million jobs by 2028.
International hotel chains are increasing their presence in the country, as it will account for around 47 per cent share in the Tourism sector of India by 2020 ; 50 per cent by 2022.
The tourism and hospitality sector are among the top 10 sectors in India to attract the highest Foreign Direct Investment (FDI). During the period April 2000-December 2017, the hotel and tourism sector attracted around US$ 10.90 billion of FDI, according to the data released by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
1.7 GOVERNMENT INITIATIVES
The Indian government has realised the country’s potential in the tourism industry and has taken several steps to make India a global tourism hub.
Some of the major initiatives planned by the Government of India to give a boost to the tourism and hospitality sector of India are as follows:
• The Government of India is working to achieve one per cent share in world’s international tourist arrivals by 2020 and two per cent share by 2025.
• Under Budget 2018-19, the government has allotted Rs 1,250 crore (US$ 183.89 million) for Integrated development of tourist circuits under Swadesh Darshan and Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Augmentation Drive (PRASAD).
1.8 INDIAN ONLINE TRAVEL INDUSTRY
• It is expected to be worth of US $6 billion in 2020.
• IRCTC is the most successful ecommerce initiative in India
• IRCTC contributed Rs.340 million to the total ecommerce business of Rs.900 million
• Other travel portals include MakeMyTrip, Yatra, ClearTrip and Travel guru etc
• Driven by aviation sector
• Crowded with more than 20 Online Travel Agencies
1.10 BROAD AREAS OF ONLINE TRAVEL INDUSTRY IN INDIA
• Ticket booking-Air ;Non-Air
• Tele Reservations
• Car Rentals
• Tour Packages
• Airtravel dominates the current online travel industry in India with 60%+market
1.11 ONLINE TRAVEL AGENCIES IN INDIA
• Thomas Cook India
• SOTC Tours
• Club Mahindra Holidays
• Kuoni Travel Group, India
CHAPTER 2:COMPANY PROFILE
2.1 INTRODUCTION TO MAKE MY TRIP
India’s No.1 online travel company MakeMyTrip (MMT) was founded by Deep Kalra in 2000.The Company started its journey targeting the Non-Residence of India (NRI) to India market. The strong belief of MMT is low operation cost and lean structure. The company offers a variety of products (Air/Bus/Rail Tickets, Holiday packages, Hotels, Car Rentals and so on) which makes them to lead the competitive travel market. It makes majority of its revenue from Air Ticketing commission as agents. MMT is recognized for its transparency and reliability. MMT also provides customers’ needs and wants and delivers consistency with its 23 offices across India and 4 international offices with dedicated 24×7 customer support.
MMT steadily developed its offline business-like franchise and it also has 23,450 travel agents across 700 cities and towns. The company earns revenue of 77% by selling airline tickets and 20% revenue from hotel and package and 3% from other add-on services.
2.2 COMPANY HISTORY
MakeMyTrip was founded by Deep Kalra, an alumnus of IIM-Ahmedabad. It was launched in the US market in 2000 to cater to the overseas Indian community for their US-to-India travel needs. MakeMyTrip started its Indian operations in September 2005, offering online flight tickets to Indian travellers. The company also started to focus on non-air businesses like holiday packages and hotel bookings. On 17 August 2010, MakeMyTrip was listed on the NASDAQ and went public, making a debut in the US market.
In 2011, the company created several travel-related apps for all types of mobile devices (smartphones and basic cell phones). MakeMyTrip also made three acquisitions, namely, Luxury Tours and Travel Private Limited (Singapore), ITC Group Hotel Travel Group and ETB Group, over the years, to enter new markets in South – East Asian region and Europe. In September 2014, MakeMyTrip instituted a $15 million innovation fund to support early-stage companies in the travel space.
MakeMyTrip acquired Mygola, a travel planning website in April 2015. The acquisition was done through the innovation fund and as part of the acquisition, all employees of MyGola were absorbed into the MakeMyTrip team.
In July 2015, MakeMyTrip invested in travel information and hotel review portal, HolidayIQ to pick up approximately 30% stake in the company. In the same month, it also invested $5 million in Bona Vita Technologies, a start-up which plans to utilize the funds to build innovative products in the travel industry.
In January 2016, Chinese travel booking company Ctrip agreed to invest $180 million to MakeMyTrip.(Wikipedia, 2018)
2.3 MERGERS, ACQUISITIONS AND INVESTMENTS
Acquisition / Investment Date Company Business Country
May 2011 Luxury Tours and Travel Private Limited Travel Agency Singapore
August 2011 Le Travenues Technology Private Limited which owns Ixigo.com Online travel meta search engine India
November 2011 My Guest House Accommodation Budget Lodging/Hotel Operator India
November 2012 ITC Group Tour Operator Thailand
November 2012 Hotel Travel Group (HT Group) Travel Firm Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia
February 2014 easytobook.com (ETB) Online Hotel Operator Amsterdam
June 2015 Inspirock Online Travel Planner USA
April 2015 MyGola Travel Guide Start-up India
July 2015 Holiday IQ Online Travel Portal India
July 2015 Bona Vita Technologies Private Limited Travel Start Up India
2.3.1 MAKEMYTRIP AND IBIBO MERGER
MakeMyTrip and ibibo group merged through a stock transaction, representing the coming together of India’s largest travel booking portals. Through this transaction, MakeMyTrip acquired rival ibibo in what has been pegged as the biggest acquisition in India’s online travel space. At the closing, MMYT shareholders own 60 % whereas ibibo Shareholders get a 40 % stake, making Naspers and Tencent the single largest shareholder in MakeMyTrip.
2.4PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
• FLIGHTS: MakeMyTrip provides flight tickets for travel in all major domestic, international as well as low-cost carriers operating in India. It caters to travellers for both domestic and international travel from India. Apart from this, it caters to inbound travel to India from countries like US, Canada, Singapore and UAE.
• RAIL AND BUS TICKETS: MakeMyTrip sells online rail tickets to its customers offering features like return tickets with single payment option, flexi-search and automatic alerts and updates on the availability of tickets. It also offers bus tickets across different categories like Volvo, Air Conditioned, Non-Air Conditioned, Deluxe, Semi-Deluxe and Sleeper vehicles.
• CAB SERVICE:MakeMyTrip introduced car hire services on its Indian website in May 2010. It currently provides car hire services in conjunction with holiday package bookings.
• HOTELS AND PACKAGES (HOLIDAYS): The Company offers hotel reservations in India and international cities alike. There are over 13,000 hotels and guesthouses in India that can be searched and compared online on the MakeMyTrip website. The hotels range from luxury to budget accommodations. In November 2012, MakeMyTrip acquired My Guest House Accommodation to increase the overall inventory for budget rooms and service apartments. MakeMyTrip also offers a wide selection of hotels outside India. Through the acquisition of easytobook.com, MakeMyTrip now offers access to more than 184,000 hotels outside India. MakeMyTrip also offers group and customized holiday packages for popular domestic and international destinations.
• MOBILE SOLUTIONS: In 2012, MakeMyTrip launched travel mobile applications (Apps) for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry devices. The app offers services like flight and bus bookings, hotel reservations and holiday packages. It also caters to other post-purchase requirements like generating e-tickets, making cancellations, tracking status of refunds and other travel alerts. The travel itineraries available on the Apps can be shared on Facebook and Twitter.
• ROUTE PLANNER: MakeMyTrip route planner section provides all basic required information on more than 1 Million routes in India.
2.5SUCCESS OF MAKE MY TRIP
The success of Make My Trip can be measured by the following:
2.5.1 PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
MMT offers a variety of travel and travel related products and services to their customers such as Bus tickets, Air tickets, Rail tickets, holiday packages, car rentals and also provide visa processing and travel insurance. MMT becomes one stop shop for all customers where they can combine multiple products and offer a customized package based on customer’s needs.
2.5.2 AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Success of Make my trip can also be measured by the awards and recognition it has achieved. The following are the few awards achieved by MMT from the year 2005-2011. (Wikipedia, 2018)
• Best Travel Innovator – Travel Distribution World Asia Awards 2012
• Leisure & Travel e-Retailer Award – Franchise India e-Retailer Awards 2012
• Best Domestic Tour Operator – Times Travel Honours 2011
• Best Online Travel Service Firm – Times Travel Honours 2011
• Great Places to Work 2011 – 3rd Best Company to Work for & #1 in Professional Services
• Super brand India – 2009-10
• Great Places to Work – 2009
• Best Travel Website – CNBC Awaaz – 2008-09
• Most Visited Travel Website – comScore – 2005-09
• Most Preferred Online Travel Agency – Travel Biz Monitor Survey – 2008
• Number One Online Travel Agency – JuxtConsult – 2008
• Gold and Silver – Abby Award – 2007-08
• Among the Top Ten Websites visited by Indians – comScore – 2007
• Nominated World Travel Awards – WTA – 2007
• Among 100 IT Innovators – NASSCOM – 2007
• Best Online Travel Company – Galileo Express Travel World – 2007
• Emerging India Award – ICICI Bank & CNBC TV18 – 2006
• Asia’s Hottest Technology Start up – Red Herring – 2006
2.6 MARKET SHARE
MakeMyTrip and GoIbibo have emerged as market leaders in the online travel category, capturing 31% and 27.4% market share, respectively, as on July 2017, as per a research report by Kalagato. Homegrown ticket booking platform IRCTC followed in the third spot with 22.9% market share on the back of app installations. Cleartrip and Yatra were fourth and fifth, respectively, with 9.6% and 7.3% market share. MakeMyTrip acquired GoIbibo in an all-stock deal, which was cleared in January. Traditionally, MakeMyTrip has been a strong player in the flight booking space and GoIbibo has been leading the hotel-booking space. With both joining forces, the merged entity gets a sizeable chunk of the market at 58%.
The acquisition, valued at about $2 billion, marked one of the largest deals in the travel market. The combined entity is large enough to dominate the $30-billion travel market in India. Earlier this month, founder and CEO of GoIbibo Ashish Kashyap resigned as the president of MakeMyTrip, marking the first top-level exit at the combined entity. IRCTC, online services portal of Indian Railways, garnered 22.9% market share ahead of players like Cleartrip and Yatra. Given the scale and the user base of IRCTC, it has an edge over other travel portals and its reach in Tier II and Tier III towns gives it larger traction from such areas.
Internet-focused travel aggregators Cleartrip and Yatra were far behind in the race with single-digit market share. In September, Yatra raised Rs 100 crore in venture debt from Innoven Capital to aid its further growth. To expand reach in corporate travel bookings, Yatra acquired Air Travel Bureau in July. Alibaba-backed Paytm is also looking at entering the travel market by acquiring travel booking platform Via.com. The new acquisition is expected to give Paytm enough leverage to take on larger players, such as MakeMyTrip, Oyo or Cleartrip.
2.7 MARKETING MIX OF MAKE MY TRIP
Make My Trip is one of the leading travels booking website in India, offering variety of services to its users. Offering travel and tour packages which include domestic and international destinations form the main business services of Make My Trip. The products in its marketing mix include airline, bus and rail tickets for different places offered by different vendors. Make My Trip acts as platform which connects the users with different transportation service providers. The online portals also offer a one-point connection for different hotels in terms of their availability, reviews and description for the users. Make My Trip also provides the consumers with rental taxi services in different cities across the country. The main business model is to offer consumers variety of packages at different rates and features and provide them with optimum offerings as per their requirements. The services are accessed through apps or internet which provides the ease to consumers by providing one stop for all travelling needs.
Make My Trip has to compete with several other travel portals to keep its leadership position in India. The main pricing model adopted by Make My Trip is to provide the users with best offer deals provided by various tour operators and travel service facilitators. This provides the customers a wide range of options to choose depending on his preference and budget. The main motive of Make My Trip is to get large customer base and thereby increase its revenue through economies of scale. The customers also get added benefits for some of the destinations also there can be discounts in terms of early bookings. There has been rising competition in terms of rising number of portals providing such services and in terms of staying ahead it is necessary to incentivise the customers in terms of reduction in price or offering combo packages. The companies tie ups with various service providers also enable it to provide such offers.
Make My Trip is known to people mainly through its online presence in form of internet website and mobile application platform. Also, the features on this platform are user friendly wherein the customers can avail the services and view wide variety of offers. This also enables to provide 24*7 service to the users and can be accessed anywhere across the globe. Make My Trip also has offline presence in form of 65 retail stores across 50 different cities in India along with New York and Sydney.
Make My Trip has a strong brand presence owing to its great marketing exercises. Major share of the promotion of is done through digital marketing online utilizing its platform and through social media like other travel portals. Through platforms like face book, Twitter and YouTube it has been able to convey its brand to the online masses. Some of the television commercials and newspaper advertisement have been undertaken to reach wider range of people. Make My Trip also makes use of its promotional offers in terms of discounts and special services to premium users to make better brand awareness. It has been stated that almost 1 million routes in India is covered by the network of Make My Trip. Associations with financial institutions like banks to generate more offers are also being undertaken to reduce competition.
Being an online portal there is lower level of physical interaction between the employee of Make My Trip and users registered in it. People factor plays a major role in such kind of services since it is the other major evaluating factor for customers in terms of service offered. Make My Trip offers customer service through its executives meeting every requirement made by the users. The senior management team and its employees have helped in creating a brand name right from designing deals and offering varied services enabling it to remain in forefront in the competitive travel portal service sector. This can be recognized from the fact that the company has been recognized as the best travel and hospitality online portal by various agencies and awards. Also, the company has been identified as one of the best places to work in the country.
The entire operation for the Make My Trip booking process takes place through electronic platform. For the customer end after registering in Make My Trip application or website he is able to view different offers in terms of travelling options through flight, rail and bus or hotel services offered by different companies. After selecting the required services from the portal, the user makes online payment including the fare and service charges. At the backend the Make My Trip is connected to different hotels, airline companies, bus service providers, IRCTC, tour operators, car rental operators etc. who display their service information and price that is made available through this platform. The payment is then transferred to the sellers by Make My Trip after user has made the payment. This provides a seamless integration among different service provider and customers through single platform of Make My Trip.
2.7.7 PHYSICAL EVIDENCE
Make My Trip has been successful in providing customized needs of the user by understanding the pattern of booking and provides them with repeated notification of available similar deals. There has been ease in the terms of availing services and cancelling the services including receiving refund immediately. Make My Trip website, app, offices etc are the leading examples of its physical evidence. There have been major changes in terms of services provided right from the stage o its inception to provide better customer services. Reduced hassle and comfortable booking of journey has been the major motive of the online portal and it has highly succeeded in providing it. This completes the Make My Trip marketing mix.
2.8 SWOT ANALYSIS OF MAKE MY TRIP
• One of the earliest market entrants
• Presence in the international business scenario
• Secure and trusted channel for facilitating payments
• Attractive brand name and convenient website navigation
• It offers services like International and Domestic Air Tickets, Holiday Packages and Hotels, Domestic Bus and Rail Tickets, Private Car and Taxi Rentals, B2B and Affiliate Services
• General Reluctance in customers to use internet for financial transactions like booking tickets online
• Customers currently using traditional methods of bookings
• Offer better travel packages in line with customer expectation
• Untapped sections of international tourism market
• Possible lack of co-ordination with tourism entities
• Present competitors having substantial market share
• Newly emerging online booking portals with better offerings
2.9FAMOUS LOYALITY PROGRAM BY MAKE MY TRIP
2.9.1 MMT BLACK
MMT BLACK is an invite only, pay upfront membership program with a host of benefits, the Most Rewarding Loyalty Program, Ever. From free flight tickets to free palatial stays, it just can’t get any better!
Register and Start Booking
This invite only program will be entirely spend based. Once anyone register and start booking with MakeMyTrip, they can earn Wallet+ cash (unrestricted cash in the wallet) on crossing various spending levels, starting at Rs. 20,000.
There are also many vouchers a customer can avail using Wallet+ or can use the wallet to claim flight tickets, Luxury Stays at The Oberoi and The Trident, Uber and BookMyShow vouchers, among other choices!
The customer also get the facility to Redeem their vouchersVouchers and Make Beautiful Memories!
Luxury hotel stay, flight to your favourite city, Uber rides, movie tickets – the customers can get all this and more as they redeem your vouchers.
2.9.2 MMT DOUBLE BLACK
MMT DOUBLE BLACK is an invite only, pay upfront membership program with a host of benefits
• On the first 5 eligible domestic flight bookings and first 5 domestic hotel bookings during the membership period which is 365 days, the Double black program members will be provided by full refund on their flight and hotel booking upon cancellation and no cancellation penalty shall be charged on the cancellation.
• The refunded amount can be used 100% in subsequent booking without any restriction and had no expire date, but cannot be transferred into the bank account (credit/debit card or any other payment instrument)
• The Program covers all domestic flights (economy class) and all domestic hotels (refundable + non-refundable)
2.10HOLIDAY AMBASSADOR: A NEW LOYALITY PROGRAM BY MAKE MY TRIP
AN ADDITIONAL EARNING OPPURTUNITY TO ITS CUSTOMER.
Holiday Ambassador is yet another interesting offer from MakeMyTrip. An additional earning opportunity, the Holiday Ambassador program is based on generating queries from those looking to book holiday packages/hotels anywhere in India/abroad, through one’s personal ; professional networks. An entirely flexible arrangement, one can become a Holiday Ambassador even while continuing employment at their present place of work. A Holiday Ambassador has to generate potential hotel or holiday queries from their network of friends, family, work group, social group, etc. MakeMyTrip will then service the query, while offering attractive packages and discounts to the referrals. What’s more, it’s an opportunity to be associated with one of the country’s leading travel brands. So, in my entire process of internship I was managing the proper functioning and promotion of holidays ambassador using many platforms and I was assigned the task to make more and more people enrol in the new program.
PROGRAM INCLUDES BOOKING
• Domestic Holiday Packages (Flight + Hotel + sightseeing)
• Domestic Hotel + sightseeing
• International Holiday Packages (Flight + Hotel + sightseeing + Visa)
• International Hotel + sightseeing
• International Hotel
2.10.1 BENEFITS AND PAYOUTS TO CUSTOMER UNDER PROGRAM
Business points are the basic wallet points
In this the customer is provided with Business points i.e1% of the booking price as points on holiday bookings, on every holiday booking made from the unique queries sent.
Example: Following bookings have been made from queries shared. With every transaction/booking, the Holiday Ambassador earns 1% of net sales price as points.
The contest points are those which a holiday ambassador can earn extra points being a part of contest held on the Application.
Contests and offers will give Holiday Ambassadors a chance to earn extra points, which will be added to their points’ kit’ available on the app. Actually, in this many contest are there for the customers where they get a chance to win amazing benefits. In that case the customer is only need to download Holiday Ambassador App form Google Play Store/ IOS Store and can join the Holiday Ambassador FB page to get updated about the contest.
Milestone are the bonus points which a customer can get on attaining different slabs which are set as milestone
Milestone bonus is part of Benefit which attract the customer the most. It provides customer a chance to win extra points on attaining a milestone as shown below
Example: Once you have reached the 3rd Milestone by earning 20,000 Business Points, an additional 5000 Milestone Bonus points will be awarded to you.
2.11WHY HOLIDAY AMBASSADOR
The benefit a customer can get after enrolling into holiday ambassador loyalty program are as follows:
• Attractive additional earning opportunity
• Exciting travel deals and offers for your personal travel
• Additional Points on achieving important milestones
• Association with one of the biggest brands in India
2.12 TRAVEL AND TOURISM
Indian tourism has inconceivable potential for creating business and procuring expansive totals of remote trade other than giving a flip to the country’s general monetary and social advancement. Much has been accomplished by method for expanding air situate limit, expanding trains and railroad network to imperative vacationer goals, foreplaning of streets associating vital visitor focuses and expanding accessibility of settlement by adding legacy inns to the inn business and empowering paying visitor convenience. Be that as it may, a great deal more stays to be finished. Since tourism is a multi-dimensional movement, and fundamentally an administration industry, it would be vital that all wings of the Central and State governments, private division and deliberate associations end up noticeably dynamic accomplices in the attempt to accomplish economic development in tourism if India is to end up plainly a world player in the traveller business
2.13PROMOTION OF HOLIDAY AMBASSADOR
I was personally assigned a role to promote the Holiday Ambassador Program of Make My Trip for 2 months of May ; June 2018. During my tenure I interacted with a lot of customers on daily basis and explained them how they get benefit in enrolling in the program. During my tenure I have done Tele Marketing, Social Media Marketing and Marketing Research which includes Promoting App using Online platform and Conduct Market Surveys in Delhi NCR Region.
I have been given a database of 1000+ people to whom I have done cold calling in aim to promote app which was successfully achieved and I have also done marketing survey for the same in many places of Delhi Region from where I was able to gather a good strength of people who were interested in being a part of Holiday Ambassador program.
2.13.1 TELE MARKETING
Tele Marketing Telemarketing (sometimes known as inside sales or telesales in the UK and Ireland) is a method of direct marketing in which a salesperson solicits prospective customers to buy products or services, either over the phone or through a subsequent face to face or Web conferencing appointment scheduled during the call.
Telemarketing can also include recorded sales pitches programmed to be played over the phone via automatic dialling.
In initial four weeks of my internship i was assigned with a role of Telemarketer where I made calls to the potential Holiday Ambassador users and address them about the benefits. We brief them about the deals and manage the records for their feedback. My role was to generate leads among the potential users of the Application and confirm about the offers we have for them. After confirming their holiday pack? age, I used to further transfer the query to the leads department of Make My Trip to finalize the transaction.
2.13.2 SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
Social Media Marketing Social media itself is a catch-all term for sites that may provide radically different social actions. For instance, Twitter is a social site designed to let people share short messages or “updates” with others. Facebook, in contrast is a full-blown social networking site that allows for sharing updates, photos, joining events and a variety of other activities Social media marketing is the use of social media platforms and websites to promote a product or service.
Although the terms e-marketing and digital marketing are still dominant in academia, social media marketing is becoming more popular for both practitioners and researchers.
I was also assigned the work where I have to handle the Facebook page of Holiday Ambassador to make the in process of gaining traffic or attention of the customer We posted a quiz contest on Facebook and rewarded winners with business points. We were able to gather a lot of attention from the people, further promoting the Application among users.
Marketing research is a primary step in marketing a product. Once you identify your target market in terms of demographics such as income, age, family structure and hobbies, you can proceed with developing a product line, selecting a location for a restaurant or branding your company. Marketing research answers such questions as “who my potential customer is,” “what my customer will be willing to pay for my products,” “what factors my customer considers when buying a product like mine” and “how often my customer will buy.” Researchers use a variety of techniques to gather information for marketing research. A survey was undertaken in the busiest markets of Delhi NCR Region where people were asked to fill the questionnaire and them making them to be the part of Holiday Ambassador program by showing them the benefit sheet. This project I have done for a tenure of five weeks where we were supposed to directly approach more and more people to enrol into Holiday Ambassador These are some of market where the process of Marketing Research is undertaken:
• Lajpat Nagar
• Connaught Place
• Netaji Subash Chandra Place
• Nehru Place
• Pacific Mall – Subhash Nagar
The process was successfully executed where I got 400+ people who wereinterested to be a part of this loyalty program
I also promoted the application download of Holiday Ambassador to people whom I conducted the survey upon, after explaining them the benefits of using the Holiday Ambassador mobile application. Several people were interested to download the application and became potential customers to use the application for booking holiday packages from Holiday Ambassador of Make My Trip.
CHAPTER 3: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3.1 OBJECTIVE OF RESEARCH
The objective of the study is to have a practical bright of the working of the organization, its decision, its brief historical background and its future prospects. The following can be said to be the major objectives of the study:
3.1.1 PRIMARY OBJECTIVE
• To promote the Mobile Application downloads of Holiday Ambassador among people and identify the potential customers for future sales of the company.
3.1.2 SECONDARY OBJECTIVE
• To examine the customer need
• To search the market for the consumer by which the customer can get the services easily from the company
• To identify the areas of concern where the company lack in promoting the customers perception
• To find out the corrective measures taken up by the company to enhance its business with respect to customers perception
3.2 SCOPE OF STUDY
• It gives information to prospective customer.
• Help us gain independent knowledge about the customer perception of the complete travel online company.
• The studies help companies to get additional research information
• It facilities evaluation of brand names and customers satisfaction
3.4 NEED OF STUDY
I have chosen the subject “A study of Promotional Marketing with reference to MakeMyTrip” in a need to understand the following points:
• To understand the need of analysing the customer’s perceptions of various resource management organization.
• To assess the industry’s progress through the customers perception point of view of company.
• To understand the assessment of the company based on the survey customer.
• To understand the psychology of market observers behind the customers perceptions analysis of MakeMyTrip.
3.5 RESEARCH APPROACH
The various ways of research approaches are:
• Observation research
• Survey research
• Tele Marketing
• Market Research
In this project the approach used was survey approach because the main objective of our survey was to find out the customer’s perception towards the sales promotion strategy of MakeMyTrip to promote their online referral program, Holiday Ambassador
3.6 SAMPLE PLAN
• Sample unit: MakeMyTrip (Holiday Ambassador)
• Sample size: 300+ customers
• Field Work Area: Delhi-NCR
IN THIS SURVEY EXPERT JUDGMENTS SAMPLING METHOD CAN BE USED:The research contains Primary Data collection and analysis. The data have been used for understanding the customer’s mindset and requirement against the product.
4.6.1 COLLECTING THE INFORMATION
The information was collected from customer by personally asking them question and filling the questionnaire. The data collected is based on my interaction and feedback shared by the customer.
The Information The available is analysed in the form of questionnaire.
4.6.3 PRESENTATION OF FINDINGS
Presentation of research in the company is on the basis of findings and suggestions
CHAPTER 4: FINDINGS AND INTERPRETATION
DATA ANALYSIS AND THE INTERPRETATION
The data analysis and the interpretation are on the basis of the finding of the attitude of the customers and the trend of travel company market on MakeMyTrip and the brand on which the customer response depends. The data is collected on 100 respondents.
Q1. Gender of the Respondents?
Total No. of Respondents are: 300
From the above data, it is clear that the majority of people who preferred to fill survey are male. So, it is clearly shown 62% of respondents were male and 38% of them were female.
Q2. Age Group of Respondents?
We have categorised the age groups into six different categories which are as follows:
Category 1: Below 18
Category 2: 18-24
Category 3: 25-34
Category 4: 35-44
Category 5: 45-54
Category 6: 55 and Above
From the above figures it is clearly shown that the majority of respondents from whom I managed to get the questionnaire filled were between the age group of 18-34 and the least I get from the person of age group 55 and above. The total number of responses I get from different age groups is 300. The figures of respondent are shown in the chart below
Q3. Occupation of the Respondents?
In this question the respondent was asked to mention their respective occupation
From the above data shown in the chart it is clearly shown from the total of 300 respondents, majority of our students and people from corporate including 42.67% Job/Service people and 30.03% Students.
Q4. Do you like going on Holidays?
From the above table and chart, it is clearly shown that almost every induvial surveyed like going on Holidays
Hence, only 2.33% people do not like to go on holidays
Q5. How do you prefer to book holiday packages?
From the above chart it is clearly shown that 38.03% Respondents use online mode, 13% go with offline (Retail Shops), 17.67% go with local Travel Agents to make their holiday bookings
25.34% Respondents use to book holiday packages on their own.
Q6. How Frequently do you plan your Holidays?
In this Question the respondent was asked about how frequently they plan their holidays
From the above chart it is clearly shown that majority of people use to plan their holidays once in a year which is 55,67% of Total Responses.
14.34% people plan their holidays once in two years
20.34% people plan their holidays Twice a year
9.67% people plan their holidays once in every 3 Months.
Q7. Brand (Travel Agency) is an important factor while buying a holiday package. Do you agree?
From the above chart it is clearly shown that the majority of respondents agree upon that, Brand (Travel Agency) is an important factor while buying a holiday package.
Q8. Would you choose MakeMyTrip over other online travel portals for your holiday booking?
From the above chart it is clearly shown that majority of people agree upon choosing Make My Trip for booking their holidays, hence 58.34% people strongly agree or agree and only 20.67% people disagree on choosing Make My Trip for booking their holidays.
Q9. Advice from family or friend plays an important role in planning a holiday. Do you agree with the statement?
From the above chart it is clearly shown that majority of people strongly agree on that Family advice play an important role in planning a Holiday as 77% of Respondents agree on this and only 9% disagree on this.
Q10. In past few years, Holiday trend has changed. Travelers increasingly look for getaways and Holidays. Do you agree with the statement?
From the above chart ti is shown that 29% people neither agree nor disagree with that the holidays trend has been changed and 31.34% people strongly agree that holiday trend has been changed.
Customers are satisfied with the various travel offers of MakeMyTrip, because it produces low cost and it produces offers for middle class people.
• Television is important source for effective sales promotion.
• Customers are using MakeMyTrip packages for travel features.
• Customer generally buys offers for best package and cost.
• Customers are satisfied with on line assistance of MakeMyTrip and Holiday Ambassador which related with post-delivery.
• Generally, customers prefer to buy holiday packages on the time of occasion because at that time they provide cash discount and various offers.
• People were satisfied on the benefit they were getting on enrolling with the new referral program by MakeMyTrip
Follow set of limitations were encountered by research during the research process:
• The research topic for the project is new and therefore, secondary data was retied upon including the data collected from the internet together a bird’s eye view of the entire industry.
• The research process may have been biased of the content of the source is not authenticated, as it is generally perceived.
• The research has an objective of suggesting an alternative marketing strategy to creatures to access the present market trends and position of radicalization in the state.
• However, the primary data research process had little to offer on the current market operation of the company and thus the researcher has relied upon the secondary data available for preparing questionnaire and to know the industry.
• Research was confined to the city of Delhi only.
• Response from customer may be a biased one. So as many as 300 respondents was surveyed.
• The finance through loan facility should be given to the middleclass people.
• The Promotion interior design should change to make customer attractive.
• The promotions should be made according to customer’s perception.
• The promotional strategy should help in changing consumer’s mind and attracting them towards the products.
• On line assistance should be given and there should be a 24 * 7 Helpline.
• E commerce depends largely on a reputable, accessible online presence. To be recognized, businesses must take themselves available to those who are most likely to notice. Identify the demographic characteristics of consumers who will benefit from relevant products and service and base marketing strategies on these details.
• As they are into mobile site, they should have more responsive, click to call tools, maps oriented and real time notifications systems.
My research in MakeMyTrip was a wonderful experience in the field. I observed the employee’s dedication to work and everyone were booming in right spirit. Every small step is pre-planned well with good team effort and guidance from higher authorities. The employees are trained well by experienced officials leading towards the success of organization.
The study majority focusing towards customers, so far that the showroom and the service station has taken initiative steps to satisfy them by giving more offers discount, etc., also the salesperson has to treat them as a valuable asset by rendering proper service.
From the whole analysis this has been concluded that various people have car and most of the people use to take cars from MakeMyTrip on line travel company. The people are satisfied with the availability of products and also happy with the sales promotion strategy of MakeMyTrip on line travel company. The perception of people is very much positive. So, it is clear that the customer’s perception towards the sales promotion strategy of MakeMyTrip on line travel company is very much positive, and whatever suggestions are provided by customers if dealer will implement than companies as well as dealer will get a lot of profit.
A.Sivakumar. (n.d.). Retail Marketing. Excel Book’s Publication.
Holiday Ambassdar. (2018, April). Delhi.
Make My Trip. (2000). Retrieved from Make My Trip: www.makemytrip.com
Perreault, W. D. (n.d.). Basic Marketing. E.J Erom e. Mccarthy.
Philipkotler. (n.d.). The Principles of Marketing. Hill Publishing.
Wikipedia. (2018, July). MakeMyTrip. Retrieved from Wikipedia.com: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MakeMyTrip